Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Pub Food

We went out last night to the local Pub. The food normally is quite good (nothing special) and if you get the special its not badly priced. However Pubs are now charging prices for steaks that are quite outrages. Why would I want to spend 30 bucks plus for a steak that I have to order at a counter and even collect it ('your BBQ is ready Mr Wicher' ala the Breaky Creek Wharf Hotel) when I can go to a top class restaurant for the same price. The steak might be good at most pubs but the side salads or vegies without fail have been terrible. I know its good to have some pubs like this but please bring back - at least some - old fashioned pubs that serve a good counter meal (and have no bloody pokies).

It seems that the only attention is given to the meat and none at all to the rest of the dish. Even with this being the case it's still a rarity that the meat comes out as order. I like my Steak Medium Rare but I have to order it as rare just so that it won't be served well done.

I did have to laugh and shake my head at the same time. I thought that Australians had become a bit more knowlegable about wine. Not so it seems . While at the bar getting a couple of beers the person in front of me ordered some wine. It went something like this:

Patron: A 4x and a wine
Serving person: White or Red?
Patron: White thanks.

I actually though those days had gone

No comments: